Sunday, September 4, 2016

Feedback Thoughts



Out of all the articles, I found the one by Megan Bruneau most helpful. That's less because I'm uncomfortable receiving feedback--I've gotten more and more used to it each semester as a Professional Writing major, since we get feedback and critique weekly on every assignment we do--but because of a specific tip Bruneau mentions that I think applies equally well to receiving and giving feedback.

When Bruneau differentiates between "state" versus "trait," she's talking about separating oneself (the state) from specific qualities (traits), so a critique on a certain aspect doesn't feel like an assault on the entire self. And that really is important to keep in mind--having areas in a piece that can be improved doesn't mean the entire piece is flawed. When revising, you have to approach your project like a surgeon would: a step removed, able to separate different parts of the whole and cut away what isn't working, then replace it with something that does.

But I also think the "state versus trait" idea is worth keeping in mind when giving feedback, too. Instead of making generalized statements about the state--which are more likely to be highly subjective instead of objective, and can be difficult to break down and apply--it's better to zero in on isolated traits and give specific feedback on those.

The only other thing I'd add is that it really does become easier the more you do it. When I first started turning in writing projects for critique, the thought of having it returned to me with criticism in the margins made me uneasy. But with every project, it's gotten easier. I honestly think that's because my mindset has gradually shifted, and is still doing so--instead of dreading critique, I actually look forward to it, because I know I'll have an end product I can feel more confident in when everything's said and done.

Basically, if you view it as just another step in the process, helpful instead of uncomfortable, it's much easier to not only get through it, but also to apply it in an efficient and beneficial way.



Image Credit: "Editing a Paper" by Nic McPhee. Source: Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment